Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Crohn's and Thickened Blood

Two years preceding my Crohn's diagnosis I had muscle spasms, numbness and tingling in my hands, feet, arms, and legs and for the first time I also developed sharp pains in my calves. Neurologist did the mega workup and nothing turned up in the blood work.

Thromboembolic disease is a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). A hypercoagulable state exists in IBD which may involve many components of hemostasis and is closely linked to disease pathogenesis.


It's time for me to go back and revisit all that blood work at next GI appt since the symptoms are back. Need to scrape together the deductible first. (Thanks to the dentist that did $2700 worth of unnecessary dental work not covered by my insurance and now I know about this thing called PREAPPROVAL)But I'm curious: If they could establish that I have thickened blood what could be done? Blood thinners with an ulcerated bowel?

No comments:

Post a Comment